On Sunday 12 July 2009 the Ja'ffari Islamic Youth group of Toronto will be organizing an event for families with younger children or couples at the African Lion Safari, Canada's Original Safari Adventure.
Ruqayya Datoo Nanjiani was born in Mombasa, Kenya to Sheikh Fazle Abbas and Tahira Datoo. After completing her IGCSEs at Jaffery Academy, Ruqayya and her family migrated to Portsmouth, UK. She now lives in London with her husband and 1-year old son.
- Ruqayya holds a bachelor’s degree in LLB Law and has undertaken internship roles at various law firms.
- She has worked at Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS) within the Ministry of Justice as a Caseworker enforcing laws under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
- Upon promotion to the Commercial Directorate of Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Ruqayya is now a Business Manager to the Chief Commercial Officer.
Ruqayya has had an immense enthusiasm for community service since childhood. At Wessex Jamaat she has been an integral part of several projects in both leadership and team member capacities; some of which are outlined below:
- Al Mahdi Madrasah teacher and Youth Mentor for more than 5 years
- Actively engaged in Interfaith activities, relief fundraising projects and local media programmes
- Member of the admin and logistics team at the 2013 WF Executive Council meeting hosted by Wessex Jamaat, with a spot at the table to capture the minutes
- First Ambassador of the Imam Husayn Blood Donation Campaign in the region
- Directorial team for production of a documentary celebrating 20 years of friendship between Wessex Jamaat and the Portsmouth Cathedral
- Web manager for the Wessex Jamaat website, including being Team Leader for two terms.
Upon moving to London, Ruqayya joined the Shia Ithna-Asheri Madrasah under the auspices of Hujjat, Stanmore as a teacher and has also been an Assistant Departmental Head for a period.
Since attending the Executive Council meeting in 2013, Ruqayya has been moved by the excellent work being conducted by the World Federation, thus it is her honour to be of service to Imam al Zamaan (ATFS) through this institution. She desires to add more vigour to the body and wishes to energise the youth to reconnect with the World Federation. She is passionate in creating an increased role for our women in various capacities. Ruqayya is also keen to strengthen and improve the link with our esteemed Maraje’. She prays that her humble contribution will be part of an impactful change for the World Federation for generations to come.
Due to popular demand, the Madrasah Centre of Excellence (MCE) has put together 6 unique storybook bundles together which is available to purchase now through our WFSHOP. Click here to find out more.
A Foundation Fund was set-up in 2010, with a primary aim to generate sufficient income from capital invested to cover the indirect and infrastructure costs of the organisation. Read more about it here.